Another start to a new year typically means New Year’s resolutions for most of us. Especially after a year like 2020, many of us are looking ahead with hopeful hearts for change and to leave the past year behind. Making resolutions can be a great way to look to the future but formulating a goal without a plan can make it difficult to achieve.
Some estimates show around 80% of New Year’s resolutions fail by mid-February. With any new goal, it’s typical to see motivation high at the onset of change and then wane. Making a plan to set a goal, how you plan to achieve it, and planning for bumps in the road can help you beat this statistic. Some great ways to start are:
- Examine your motivating factors. Why am I doing this? Who is this for?
- Set goals using the SMART acronym. Specific. Measurable. Achievable. Relevant or Realistic. Time-Based.
- Build support. Make your goals known to your support system and let them know how they can help.
- A lapse does not mean a relapse. Acknowledge the lapse and start again.
- Address “all or nothing” thinking such as “I ate a piece of cake when I said I wouldn’t, so I might as well have dessert with every meal today”.
Aside from the typical resolutions such as to exercise more, to save money, and quit smoking (which are always great goals) consider resolutions to improve your emotional health. Some ideas that can lead to improved emotional health include:
- Improve communication with loved ones by setting aside check in time daily.
- Start a new hobby or learn a new skill to improve cognitive skills.
- Set a goal to reach out or socialize with others daily or weekly.
- Improve sleep hygiene by engaging in relaxation activities before bedtime.
Whatever your goals or resolutions are for 2021, working with a professional such as a health coach or therapist can support you through the process from formulating your goal, processing motivation, providing accountability, and addressing barriers that may arise. Working with a professional might just mean this is the year you beat the 80% statistic and achieve your goals!
See you at our Coaching Session!